Saturday, March 15, 2014

Westward's Update. Yes, the boat wrote us!

Buenos tardes, Westward fans!

I just got the following email from Westward. Not the people aboard Westward, the actual boat. Seems she misses Mara and me, but is having a fun race nonetheless. If you've got Yellowbrick, they're light blue!

Greetings,

It's Westward, I miss you. These boys are rough around the edges and fouls mouths to boot. Perhaps we can use a bit more femininity aboard next time. To their credit though, that Willie Bell, keeps a clean ship. I am pretty sure he spends most of his time on projects taking care of my needs, if you know what I mean. The others are great too though. Seems we have formed into two tribes; ABYC Lido Fleet 6- Sam, Ron, Tracy and Team LAYC - Steve, Ric, Willie and Graham. Currently, we have LAYC on deck in clear sunny skies. 12 knots of breeze blowing from about 315 degrees and hopefully building. I am moving along at a steady 7.5 knots and moving deeper into Mexican waters. Our new 1/2 oz spin, which we put a hole in on it's first hoist, is up along with our new staysail spin as well. Graham tells me the weather reports are not encouraging for the next 24 hours but as usual remains optimistic about going straight down the course. 

Last night was a beautiful clear night with passing low level clouds that brought fresh dew to the decks. The wind, surprisingly, was steady throughout the night and helped us average about 7.5 knots. The moon was almost full and cast a bright twinkle on the waves until it at last went over the horizon. We also had dolphins jumping in our bow wake and the slowest dolphin in the school ran into the hull. The only major challenge the night brought me was that we added a bow sprit. Thank god we have extra 2x4s laying around. Other boats do to, right? I know I am old but do we really need new wood on board? Anyway, I digress. My modified pulpit was still catching the spin foot in light air. The boys lashed the 2x4 to the headstay at a downward angle so hopefully no more rips or repairs. 

Seems some questions and the subsequent discussions go on in perpetuity, what is the cosine of 5 degrees, do we drive to VMG, how do we reset the GPS, should we be using True or Apparent, what do the polars say, how come Willie seems so busy all the time, am I the most beautiful boat in the race? 

The ocean and also being away from things was supposed to simplify life, but I think it drives these guys into deeper complexity about simpler things. Net, net it's the same. Maybe that is the point. 

Westward

N 29  26.2
W 117 01.3 

--


No comments:

Post a Comment